Advanced, eco-friendly premium technology delivers absolute and quiet open-air freedom, an even more fun-to-drive on-road experience and a new level of benchmark Jeep off-road capability
- 4xe electric vehicle technology is the natural evolution of nearly 80 years of Jeep®capability leadership
- Jeep 4xe vehicles provide new levels of efficiency, environmental responsibility, and performance and capability on- and off-road
- Jeep Wrangler 4xe available in Europe, China and the United States by early 2021; Jeep Renegade 4xe and Compass 4xe models arrive in Europe this summer
- Wrangler 4xe boasts 375 horsepower and delivers up to 25 miles (US homologation cycle) of pure electric operation for daily commutes while providing nearly silent, zero-emission open-air freedom without range anxiety
- Torque-on-demand electric power enhances Wrangler’s on-road performance, delivering crisp launches from a standing start and plenty of low-speed thrust
- Low-speed, peak torque-on-demand raises Wrangler’s legendary off-road benchmark to master off-road environments
- Wrangler 4xe is first and foremost a Jeep Wrangler with Trail Rated running gear: solid front and rear axles, full-time 4×4 two-speed transfer case, fully articulating suspension and 30 inches of water fording capability
- Wrangler 4xe features advanced turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine, two electric motors and robust TorqueFlite eight-speed automatic transmission
- 400-volt, 17 kWh, 96-cell battery pack mounts beneath second-row seat to protect it from outside elements and preserve the interior space
- Wrangler 4xe features exclusive exterior design cues to signify efficient, environmentally friendly electrification technology
- Available for order in Europe, Jeep Renegade 4xe and Compass 4xe deliver up to 240 horsepower and approximately 50 km (31 miles) of zero-emission pure electric range*
September 3, 2020, Auburn Hills, Mich. – The Jeep®brand has introducedits new Wrangler 4xe, marking the arrival of the most capable, technically advanced and eco-friendly Wrangler ever. Jeep Wrangler 4xe models will be available in Europe, China and the United States by early 2021. The Jeep Renegade 4xe and Compass 4xe models – introduced last year in Geneva – began arriving in Europe this summer. The new Jeep 4xe models follow the introduction of the Jeep Grand Commander PHEV in China last year.
The Wrangler 4xe’s plug-in hybrid powertrain is capable of up to 25 miles (according to US homologation cycle) of nearly silent, zero-emission electric-only propulsion, making it commuter friendly as an all-electric daily driver without range anxiety and the most-capable and eco-friendly Jeep vehicle off-road – combined with the open-air freedom that only Jeep Wrangler offers.
Jeep will offer electrification options on each nameplate in the next few years as it strives to become the leader in eco-friendly premium technology. Electrified Jeep vehicles will carry the 4xe badge. Jeep electric vehicles will be the most efficient and responsible Jeep vehicles ever, taking performance, 4×4 capability and driver confidence to the next level.
“Our Jeep 4xe vehicles will be the most efficient, responsible and capable that the brand has ever created,” said Christian Meunier, Global President of Jeep Brand – FCA. “We are committed to make Jeep the greenest SUV brand. The electrification of the Jeep lineup will allow commuters to travel solely on electric power, delivering an efficient and fun on-road experience and offering an ability to enjoy even more Jeep capability off-road in nearly complete silence.”
The Wrangler 4xe’s advanced powertrain provides a unique on- and off-road experience through the combination of two electric motors, a high-voltage battery pack, a high-tech 2.0-liter turbocharged I-4 engine and robust TorqueFlite eight-speed automatic transmission. The most advanced powertrain ever developed for a Jeep Wrangler maximizes efficiency while eliminating range anxiety, delivering pure-electric operation for most daily commutes.
Torque from the electric motors in the Wrangler 4xe’s hybrid powertrain arrives instantly on demand from the driver. The powertrain also delivers fuel-saving seamless start-stop operation of the engine.
Jeep has demonstrated 4×4 capability leadership for nearly 80 years. Jeep vehicles were the first to feature an automatic full-time four-wheel-drive system, first 4:1 transfer case and first electronic front sway-bar disconnect system. Merging electrification into the product lineup is a natural evolution.
The Jeep Wrangler 4xe will be sold globally, with EV charge port plugs tailored to specific regions. It is assembled at FCA’s Toledo Assembly Complex in Toledo, Ohio.
Wrangler 4xe Advanced Powertrain Combines Electric Motors, Turbo Engine
The Jeep Wrangler 4xe powertrain integrates two electric motors and a 400-volt battery pack with a fuel-efficient, turbocharged, four-cylinder engine and TorqueFlite eight-speed automatic transmission. This configuration maximizes the efficiency of the hybrid propulsion components and mates them with the Wrangler’s world-renown and proven driveline.
Key elements of the Wrangler 4xe powertrain include 375 horsepower (280 kW), 470 lb.-ft. (637 Nm) of torque and the following components:
- 0-liter turbocharged I-4
- Engine-mounted motor generator unit
- Transmission-mounted motor generator unit integrated into eight-speed automatic transmission (ZF 8P75PH)
- 400-volt, 17-kWh, 96-cell lithium-ion, nickel manganese cobalt battery pack